The next thing I would like to talk about is how to register as a Developer with Apple. This is one of the initial steps in the process of developing an app. This is also very important from your Coder’s perspective. And guess what, it’s actually very easy!
Registering as a Developer with Apple will cost you US$99 per annum and it doesn’t matter whether you develop zero or 100 apps each year.
- To have full access to the latest Apple iPhone operating systems and even the pre-release ones (currently it’s iOS 4.0 – the term changes regularly) – these are important to your Coder;
- To have access to the latest resources and documentation – also mainly for your Coder;
- To test your apps in a simulator and/or on your device (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) – this is very important, but only if you’re running a Mac as it won’t work on Windows; and,
- To distribute your app via the App Store (with you as the Registered Developer) and/or on an “adhoc” basis which means you can licence it for individual devices.
You can actually register for free BUT this only gives you access to some basic resources and the Apple iOS. I recommend you skip this option.
The US$99 fee is worth paying for as you are given access to all privileges and necessary tools to complete your app development.
Apple also gives you other registration options such as registering for the iOS Enterprise Developer Program where you can design and create in-house apps, and the University Program (for a higher cost, of course).
You’ll find all these in the Apple Developer Center website.
The Registration Process
Like I said earlier, this is a simple process.
Go to http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/ and click on the “Enroll Now” button.
You will need to accomplish 3 steps. These are:
- Register as an Apple Developer
- Select the Operating Systems that you will work on – (iOS, for App Developers)
- Purchase the Program
The Apple Developer Program Enrollment will guide you through the 3 main steps. When you’ve completed your purchase, you’ll know you’re good to go when you’ve received a confirmation email from Apple informing you how you can access your Program resources.
So what are you waiting for? Get your credit card ready, register and start building some apps!
Get FREE Instant Access!
Simply enter your information into the form below: